Family memberships: As well as individual memberships, Sydney Bee Club also offers Family memberships. This is for when a family might look after one or two hives at their place and only need one lot of hive insurance. There is a family membership option in the above link. It is for up to 4 total family members.
Why become a member?
Beekeeping is rewarding and being part of a beekeeping club is no t only helpful and informative, but also supportive, fun and social.
The Sydney Bee Club meet on a regular basis to provide members support and to share and discuss local experiences in beekeeping. See our events page for meeting times. We generally meet monthly on the last Monday of each month (sometimes public holidays change our meeting times, so check our events page).
During spring, summer and the beginning of autumn, we hold apiary field days. See the event page for dates and to register.
You might like to come along to one of the meetings or field days to get a feel for whether this is the hobby for you. Once you are keen, the next step is to do a ‘hands on’ course, then join a club to benefit form the collective knowledge of its many experienced members or buddy up with someone in your local area.
Joining a network of beekeeping buddies through a club can help you when you need it.
Why join if you are already a beekeeper?
Keep abreast of the many changes occurring in beekeeping such as:
- find out about new ways of managing bees
- new regulations and licencing
- changes to the notifiable bee diseases
- biosecurity requirements for beekeepers
- access to the swarm collection web page
- discounts at participating beekeeping supply stores
- As a member you also can hire extracting and wax refining equipment (free to members)
- Opportunity to take part in honey and bee competitions
- personal beekeeping insurance at reasonable rates
- opportunity to take part in branch committees and events
Benefits of joining Sydney Bee Club:
When you join the Sydney Bee Club branch, this happens under the umbrella of the Amateur Beekeepers Association of NSW. This enables benefits to our club including:
- very reasonable beekeeping insurance
- a member card to receive discounts at participating beekeeping supply stores
- Access to a swarm system to co-ordinate members’ efforts in collecting bee swarms
- Opportunity to come to field days and meetings (free for members – see events page for details)
- regular news via our newsletter (sign up here)
- Journal/quarterly eNewsletter with current news.